PGCE and School Direct, non-salaried
Prerequisites to achieving a conditional offer include the following:
- Achievement of at least a 2:2, or preferably a 2:1, honours degree (or recognised equivalent) in the subject you wish to teach, or a minimum of 40% of your degree should be within your subject specialism
- Passes at GCSE in English language and mathematics at grade C/4 or above (or recognised equivalent)
Successful applicants will also have the following conditions:
- A medical report which is deemed satisfactory
- A completed DBS enhanced disclosure which is deemed satisfactory by The OAKS
- A successful completion of The OAKS internal tests in literacy and numeracy
- A successful completion of a minimum of 10 days teaching experience in a secondary school or college during the last two years. This could be either before or after selection (undertaking this before the selection process commences will strengthen your application).
Selection is based on a successful interview. This is normally conducted in a school where you will be interviewed by school-based and OAKS staff. The interview will also normally include an activity that involves working with learners in an educational setting.
School Direct, salaried
Trainees on salaried programmes are recruited and employed directly by schools, and may continue teaching in their school following training. You’ll be paid and taxed as an unqualified teacher.
Assessment Only (AO)
If you’re an experienced teacher with a degree, you can achieve qualified teacher status without having to do any further training. Assessment only allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all of the standards for QTS. To be accepted on to this route, you would need to have had at least two years’ experience of teaching within a UK school of the appropriate age range, be in full-time employment in a UK school and have the agreement of the school you are employed at that they will be responsible for your training.